The word plagiarize means “to steal and pass off” Whenever someone portrays the work as his own without proper mention the content is said to be plagiarized. For academic students it is essential to note that the content submitted should be free from plagiarism. Be it term papers, dissertation, thesis or homework assignments. This is why majority of students make use of plagiarism checker. In this article we are going to learn easy ways to avoid plagiarism.
Ways Of Avoiding Plagiarism
- Cite Your Content Properly- Multiple citation systems are designed for students to avoid stepping into the plagiarism trap. The widely used citation styles are MLA also known as Modern Language Association, APA also known as American Psychological Association, Chicago style and CSE also known as Council of Science Editors. To ensure that content is non-plagiarized students need to format the content using any one of the above mentioned citation styles. Usually based on the type of task assigned the citation style is pre decided and spelt out in the instructions provided to the students.
- Use The Latest Version Of The Citation Style- Over the year’s citation styles have been constantly going through changes and improving for the better. Students should consider referring to the latest edition of the particular citation style when they are heading towards buying a module. Therefore to ensure that they are referring to the latest version of the citation manual students should download the digital copy of the latest updated manual and follow it religiously while working on the assignment.
- Make A List Of The Cited Works And Attach It At The End- After students are done writing the assignment including in-text citation they should make a list of all the cited material and attach it as a list at the end of the assignment as references. This gives a clear picture of the cited materials at a glance and avoids students from writing a plagiarized content. The method of formatting the list varies depending on the citation style however all methods include all the essentials of the reference. In general the order is as the author’s first and last name, title, date of publication, the place where the material has been published be it physical or online.
- Use Quotation Marks To Denote Featured Content– Students should make sure they are using quotation marks to highlight a content that has been copied word by word. It helps students create a unique content. Students should also clearly state the name of the author and publication details. Students must remember to mention the entire quoted texts inside the quotation mark.
- Cite Your Quotations And References Immediately- Just mentioning the quoted text in between quotations is not enough. Students must follow it up by immediately citing the quotation or referenced text. Citation of the quotation can be done using the following order- First, The author’s name followed by the page number after the reference has been given. Second, the name of the author and date of the published materal and third superscripting the number next to the references.
- Consider Paraphrasing Your Content- Paraphrasing is a method that helps create a unique content. Here the content is re-written changing the structure of the sentences. The voice of the text along with the language and tone is also changed keeping the meaning same. In other words paraphrasing is the method of stating an author’s opinion in one’s voice. Students should make sure they are focusing on altering construction of sentences, the vocabulary by changing words with their synonyms so that the words in the sentences change but the meaning remains intact. And also the tone in which the content has been written. Students can take online assignment help from SourceEssay experts to paraphrase the content correctly.
- Summarizing The Source Text- Students can summarize the source of the text highlighting the important ideas communicating them. Students should ensure that the summary provided of the text does not include 1/10 of the sourced material. Quotation marks should never be used while summarizing the sourced content.
- Credit The Source That Has Been Mentioned By You- The best way to avoid plagiarism is to give the credit of every source mentioned in the text. If students have consulted a particular writing it is best to give credit to avoid getting the assignments rejected. It should be done irrespective of how much has been borrowed. It eliminates the chances of getting the assignments rejected due to plagiarism. To highlight the sourced material students can use plagiarism checker free from SourceEssay online essay help.
- Don’t Try Doing The Citation Post The Completion Of The Work Instead Do The Citations While Working On The Assignment- Leaving the citation for completing at the end is risky as students might miss out on important sources that needs to be cited. Therefore it is best if students cite the content as and when they are mentioning it.
- Clearly Understand A Text Before Using- Students should ensure they properly read a text and understand it carefully. It helps them in explain a particular text in their own words. So that the content is reflected as one’s writing and not a referenced material.
- Don’t Forget To Cite Your Own Published Material- In case students are using their own published material for referencing it still needs to be cited properly. Students need to contact the publisher and ask for his permission. Only after the approval of the publisher can students use their published material for referencing. The date of publication should also be mentioned. This entire process is called self-citation. However it is advised that the full text should never be re-purposed and students should not use much of their material for referencing.
- Do Not Copy Paste- It is advised that students do not copy paste directly from the source and mention it as one’s original content. Students should preferably extract material from reliable sources that can be referred back and it is not important that students mention the sources of the content extracted while citing the content of another author.
- Do Not Depend Blindly On Plagiarism Checkers Instead Get The Paper Proofread By Experts- Online plagiarism checker are software tools that majority of students depend on while writing a content for their research paper. These tools are good but not full-proof. The results are sometime not accurate and they might also miss out content that needs to be cited. Therefore students should get their dissertations, thesis, term papers or homework assignments proofread by professional certified proofreaders who are subject matter experts and have ample experience in writing unique content.
- Start Early So That There Is Adequate Time In Hand To Run A Quality Check Before Submission- Students should ensure that they have adequate time in hand to run quality checks themselves or third party before they send the assignments for final submission. This is only possible if they start working on the assignment early. They can also hire expert proofreaders from SourceEssay to ensure that the assignments have been written keeping the university guidelines in mind and are free from errors be it grammatical or factual errors and are non-plagiarized and unique.
Therefore to conclude it can be said that The word plagiarize means “to steal and pass off” Whenever someone portrays the work as his own without proper mention the content is said to be plagiarized. For academic students it is essential to note that the content submitted should be free from plagiarism. To ensure that the content is non-plagiarized students can follow certain steps- First, To ensure that content is non-plagiarized students need to format the content using a particular citation style. For example MLA, APA, Chicago etc Second, students should use the Latest version of the Citation Style, third, students should not forget to a list of the cited works and attach it at the end, fourth, students should use Quotation marks to denote featured content and site their quotations and references immediately, fifth, students should Consider paraphrasing their content restructuring sentences, changing words with their synonyms and also changing the tone of sentences. Sixth, Students can summarize the source of the text highlighting the important ideas communicating them. Seventh, give credit to avoid getting the assignments rejected. It should be done irrespective of how much has been borrowed. Eighth, don’t try doing the citation post the completion of the work instead do the citations while working on the assignment. Ninth, clearly understand a text before using and don’t forget to cite your own published material. And, finally do not depend blindly on plagiarism checkers instead get the paper proofread by experts from SourceEssay essay writing service. Further, students should ensure that they start working on their assignments the moment they receive it to avoid any further delays. SourceEssay experts assist students in writing flawless and unique assignments within their deadlines and ensure that students never miss their deadlines.